Life of
a gun
Since I was born till form three, I can say proudly am happy
to be alive. Yes because my life was used to that gun……..Thanks be to God.
Did I say gun? Oh yeah. A gun. An AK47 rifle. They (name with-hold for
privacy) used to raid our cattle. Back in school during first break or after
it, while in class, our ears were set to hear that scream alerting us to get up
to the escarpment (lagam) for our safety.
There is this particular day I was well seated in the front
desk of my class when I heard that usual scream. Did I say usual? Mmmmm yah,
because it was the norm. Uuuuui ara
Koibirir!!! (a scream alerting “they” were in another hill called Koibirir.) I tried
to let my feeble legs safe me the agony of being killed by running ……
Up in the “lagam” I could not trace my brother who happens
to be the last born in our family. Dying for my brother I had to go back and
look for him. As in the teaching of Jesus in the parable of lost sheep, I could
not breathe leaving my brother in a risk of death. On my half way I found my
brother just crying for help. Indeed when he so he was kind of relieved. I suppose
tears of joy ran down his cheeks.
But wait, the danger was still on; “they” were coming for
the cattle. If at all they were for the cattle alone it could be better, but
they could not spare anyone that came across their eyes, so I had to take my
brother further for safety. Indeed we were both safe.
On that fateful day, a family who happens to be my close
relatives was killed. An old man, his son and the wife of the son, all three
were killed. Lord may they rest in peace…. Ka Chepchemei. Tears rolling down……………………………..
#to be continued

No comments:
Post a Comment